Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Reset Button

Every night before Ilan goes to bed and I go for my nap before my two evening shifts, we reset the apartment. Do the dishes, clean the litter, vacuum maybe, put all the stuff away, reorganize couch cushions, stack burp cloths, etc. The apartment goes back to looking like an apartment and not a chaotic mess. It takes about 20 minutes, which can feel like a lot but it isn't, and it's totally worth it. It feels so clean and settled and calm again. The late night feedings are somehow more bearable when you aren't sidestepping over crazy crap that has collected in weird places throughout the day.

I finally actually go to bed around 4am and wake up at around 8, shower, and go back "on duty" (Ilan takes the 4-8:30am shift). The place still feels clean and organized. It's a good way to start the day.

We have been cleaning every night, not saying a word, not making a decision to do it. I think both of us just get overwhelmed with the chaos that our apartment turns into during the day. And 750 square feet seems like a lot (for the city) but it feels so cramped with crap strewn everywhere. So we just started doing this thing every night, this routine of straightening and tidying and cleaning.

Ahh.

1 comment:

  1. A clean house. There is nothing like it! Our house is over 3000 ft.² and it never gets entirely clean at the same time these days. I have to clean a floor at a time... I miss the days of having a clean house. I definitely agree wih you-it helps to take on the day ahead when you have a nice clean organized start!! I hope your hanging in there!!

    ReplyDelete